Friday, November 18, 2011

Corn Pudding

Remember a while ago when I told you that my favorite dish that my mom makes is lasagna? It's true and I am looking forward to eating it in about a month for my birthday.  But, there is another dish that my mom makes during the holidays that I looooove.  I will just call it my favorite holiday dish, and it is her Corn Pudding. Mom would only make the dish during the holidays and I would easily finish off seconds and thirds. I am not sure if this dish is just regional to South Boston, Virginia the area she grew up in because besides my mom the only other people I knew who make it are my aunts and grandmother on my dad's side.  Most people haven't heard of it and when I do a search on the web I find mostly savory versions of corn pudding.

This is a very sweet dish so it is an acquired taste, Michael and Caleb won't even eat it. This works out well for me, because whenever I bring home leftovers they are all mine and I don't have to share.  This is the very first time I attempted the dish and not only did I receive my mom's approval, my sister and brother both went back for seconds. That is the best compliment I could receive. The measurements for the spices are just guesstimates.  My mom's recipe says it serves 8 - 10, I think it serves 6 - 8.

Photobucket

Ingredients
2 cans fresh cut corn
2 tbsp flour
1 -2 cups of sugar
1 cup of milk
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp melted butter
3 -4 eggs beaten
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 - 2 tsp vanilla

I used 3 eggs and 2 cups of sugar.



Photobucket



Mix flour and corn thoroughly by hand.

Photobucket

Add sugar, milk, salt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter. Mix well.

Photobucket

Add eggs and stir to blend. Pour into a greased casserole dish.

Photobucket

Place casserole dish in a pan of hot water. (I didn't have another pan big enough so I just placed the casserole dish in the oven and it turned out fine.

Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until firm. Once it was done baking I kept it warm in the slow cooker until it was time to eat. I didn't get a picture of the completed dish, but I did manage to capture a picture of the leftovers my family left for me.



Photobucket


Do you have a dish that you serve for Thanksgiving that is unique to your family?

No comments: