Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday Window Shopping: Betty Crocker Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Being talented in the kitchen runs in my family.  My sister (Kristen) and brother (Leroy) both cook really well.  Leroy even cooks for a living at a local restaurant.  However my sister did not get the baking gene. It skipped right over her, but it is OK because she got the dancing the gene and I have 2 left feet, so I think it evens out.  Occasionally I like to bake treats to bring to my nephew and niece.  I usually like to bring something chocolate, because Kristen and brother-in-law (Texas) both hate chocolate.  I'm pretty sure my sister was dropped off by aliens, I mean how can you not like chocolate. It is one of the basic food groups. Isn't it blasphemous to not like chocolate?  Sometimes when I want something to be nice I bring over a non-chocolate treat.

A few weekends ago I really wanted a burger cooked on a grill.  We live in an apartment with a screened in porch we can't have a grill so I have to bribe rely on the kindness of others. I volunteered to make Texas a pineapple upside down cake in exchange for some burgers and a deal was made

The Betty Crocker recipe using a boxed mix is my usual go to recipe.  It is pretty easy to make and using the boxed mix is pretty convenient.  As usual with my Wednesday window shopping I will just be sharing my experience. You can use the link to see the actual recipe.

Ingredients

Photobucket

I have a slight thing for maraschino cherries, just a tiny crush.

The recipe calls for melting the butter in the pan.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mix ingredients according to box directions, substituting pineapple juice for the water.

Photobucket

Photobucket


The next step is to place the cherries and pineapples in the pan. I didn't get to take a picture, because in my house the fruit disappears from the pan if I turn my back.

Pour the batter over the fruit.

Photobucket

Bake according to directions.

Photobucket

When you pull the cake out of the oven, you should immediately flip it upside down onto another dish and let it sit.

Hopefully when you make the cake it won't have a fault line going through it.

Photobucket

It may not have been the prettiest cake, but it was eaten in record time. Poor Michael didn't even get a piece. I may have to make it again soon.

No comments: