Monday, May 2, 2011

How To: Cook Spaghetti Squash

I love pasta, actually, I love a lot of food which is probably why I love cooking so much. But pasta has to be one of my favorite types of food. Unfortunately, as I get older my metabolism is slowing down and I can't eat pasta as much as I used to.  I read somewhere that spaghetti squash could be used as a substitution, so I was eager to try it out. But when I asked around no one could tell me the best way to cook it. So I had to figure it out for myself by trying out all the different methods I found on the web.

There are four basic ways to cook spaghetti squash. You can bake it on the oven, cook it in the microwave, simmer it on the crock pot or boil it on the stove My favorite method is to use the microwave.

Place the spaghetti squash in a microwave safe container. I usually add water for it to cook in.

Photobucket

Poke holes in squash like you would a potato.

Photobucket

Cook for about 10 to 12 minutes. The squash will be done when you can stick a fork into it easily.
Cut the squash in half.

Photobucket


The squash will be very hot, so be very careful as you scoop the seeds out.

Photobucket

Using a fork scrape the inside of the squash to to separate the strands.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now you can eat the squash with a little bit of butter and Parmesan cheese or serve it with the sauce of your choice. 

Nutritional Information:  1 cup (155g each), 42, 0.4g, 10g, 1g

1 comment:

Linda said...

I really need to try this!!!